Is it possible to write about all the blessings of working with the hearts of young people for two weeks? Or about the lessons I learned as a counselor? Or the ways God called me to higher ground? If you’ve ever experienced Young Disciple Youth Bible Camp, you understand part of the amazing summer I’ve spent away from home.
It was hard to leave my home, knowing I was going away for nearly three of the five remaining weeks I had at home, but my experience at Camp was worth the sacrifice of my summer, my time, and my family enjoyment. For nearly one-third of my life I’ve spent most of the month of July in Inchelium, Washington. My life was changed from being rebellious, self-pleasing, and self-centered to a Christian young person striving to live by the light God has given me. I am one of the hundreds, possibly thousands, of fruits of Young Disciple Ministries. Because my life was changed during the tender years of my existence, I return year after year to Inchelium to be a co-laborer with Christ in working with the hearts of children twelve to seventeen years of age.
Friday night of Youth Leadership Training I was handed my assignment—counselor of the oldest girls’ unit, Daughters of God. I’ve been a counselor at YDYBC for five years now, so I’ve had these girls many times. Yet, every time I’m handed my pink name tag and unit assignment, I am humbled. Working with the hearts of girls nearly past the tender age of seventeen (a time when hearts begin to hardened) is a sacred trust. Once again, I felt the sacredness of this assignment. With careful prayer, I prepared ideas for worship talks, devotion sharing, and ways to bind the hearts of my campers together and to my co-counselor and I.
Outdoors Camp began on July 15. My unit was amazing. My girls were sweet. It was nearly an “angel unit”—a name not to be said since it tends to end as a curse rather than a descriptor of good campers. But one girl was obviously struggling. One day, midweek, we had a chance to have a real heart-to-heart conversation—a deep one, concerning being worthy of Christ’s plan of salvation despite our shortcomings. I was encouraged. It was the most precious conversation I’ve ever had at Camp with one of my campers. She stayed both weeks and by the end of camp two days ago, she went home a changed person. I’ve never seen someone change so fast. She went from complaining about being bitten from mosquitoes constantly to encouraging her unit mates constantly. My heart still thrills over this young woman’s desire to press on!
Our second week of YD Camp began on July 22nd -Mission Music Camp. The first night, after Campfire, I had my campers write their goals for the week—the ways they hoped to be challenged and called higher. Through the week, one girl kept opening expressing her very blatant distaste for heaven (!) and for spiritual things and her inability to please her mother. I told her of my experience as a rebellious teenager and how Camp changed me. I wrote her a lot of Camp-O-Grams last week, telling her very straightforwardly about what Jesus wants to do and how He has helped me –and so many others. We had a lot of good talks. Yet still, she fought. Sabbath night we have testimony time after our Campfire talk. She didn’t go up. I was sad, yet I kept praying inwardly. But, as the theme song was sung one final time, she gave me a big hug. We walked away from the Campfire circle, arm over arm. She was singing and humming. I stopped just within earshot of the soundtrack playing our theme song. She brokenly said, “That song… I can’t explain what I feel… But… I… want to choose Jesus.” What a giant hug I gave her and she gave me! Seeing her peaceful smile replace her drawn, forced smiles all week was worth sacrificing all my summer for my whole life! She has a lot to face going home, but by God’s grace, much prayer, and support she is going to change her life!
God closed the door to go to GYC Europe. How I wanted to go. YD Camp was on the back of my mind- I’ve not missed a year since I was 13. YD asked me to teach child evangelism classes again this year. I said yes and in that way committed to Camp this summer. How glad I am it worked out this way. I was just where God wanted me. Just when I needed it most, I was reminded that soul saving, especially that of the young people of this world, is my life-work! I never want to loose that fire. It was rekindled as it had never been before this year at YD. And, who knows how my presence there may have affected lives. God may likely use me, and you, to touch someone that no one else can. When I look at my ministry to the youth of YD Camp, I determine to never let the opportunity go to reach out.
Yes, I was challenged, I was invigorated, I was encouraged and I recommend the ministry of a godly youth Bible camp to every person. It’s a joy to be a young disciple: a high classed, privileged young person learning and growing in Christ.
That's wonderful! Praise the Lord! Inspiring. Encouraging. Uplifting. Thank you :)
ReplyDelete